Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mattias Wallin - The Artist, and the (Cyclical) Food Chain -- Matryoshka Dolls ~ Set 3

This 3rd set of Matryoshka dolls are different from the others, because majority of the characters are "dead" - umm...that's why they have their eyes closed....except for the bacteria, silly! :P

I wasn't sure who I could give this set to, as I didn't want to offend the receiver.

After a quick conversation with the Lille Prinsen, it was decided that this set will travel to Gamleby, Sverige where they will keep Mattias Wallin - a most talented Artist/Svensk God/(Brother) Werewolf company, and will follow him to Göteborg at a later date.

Perhaps, I will let the visuals from Mattias' video project illustrate why my (Cyclical) Food Chain Matryoshka dolls were perfectly suited for him:


And so in life, there is death.

Here is the process (please click on images for a larger view).....

Rough sketches:



Base coats, pencil sketches and outlines:


Painting completed:


Front:


Sides:


Back:


Legend (no comments on my phallic flourishes please! :S):


Personalized message at the bottom:


Varnished and ready for their long journey....


Safe travels!

12 comments:

  1. Matryoshka Bacteria?! Ha ha -- only you can do something like this, Charlyn!! They are beautiful!! And they look so peaceful in death, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vielen dank, dear Maren - you are the sweetest!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a good post for the "speachless" comment:

    !!!!


    but i want to say so much!


    soon, soon.

    love
    t.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be patient then...
    ;)
    Miss you loooooots,
    C xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you like we'll exchange packages too soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hej Martin!
    Yes I would like that very much!
    I will email you. :D
    Tack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are beautiful Charlyn! these were the ones you were talking about at brunch right?! I love the whole concept of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, thank you so much Celine!
    Yes, these are the ones!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. WAUW! These are too cool!!!
    Ohh I wish I was this creative. I need one! XD
    Just curious, why matryoshka dolls? Why did you start painting them? & I apologize in advance if you've already wrote why :0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle: You are too sweet - tak så meget! :)
    I think you are just as creative as I am if not more! ;)
    Ummm, I have always liked art that is more "functional" or something that is more than just 2D...something that you can "interact" with.
    The first set I did ("Scandinavian Animals at the Fair) was inspired by a (Swedish) friend of mine whom I was thinking of when I painted that set. Then I painted a 2nd set ("Polish Woodland Creatures") for some other friends. Mostly, I think the more personalized I make the dolls, the more I enjoy the process.
    Hope I answered your questions! :D

    ReplyDelete